Friday, April 7, 2017

I'm just going to use this post to track my progress.

Here's everything that's left to be done on E&E 2e:

OGL
Proof & Kern Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Appendices A, B, C
Index Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Appendices A, B, C for general topics
Spell Effect Index for Chapters 3, 4
Monster Index for Chapter 5 parts I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX

And then I get started in on updating the World of Gaia into its own separate book (which will be much, much easier than completely reinventing Engines & Empires) and publishing a few little tweaks and updates to Retro Phaze (hardly any work at all).

* * *

Incidentally, I think I've solved the spell-sheet problem.  I just went and made a blank one.  That way, the players don't salivate over the names of the spells that they don't know yet but think they obviously and rightfully ought to have as soon as they reach the right experience level.  I'll have to see how that works out in actual play with a crop of new players sometime, though.

* * *

Mon 4/10: Small delay in proof-reading chapter 4. I discovered that I'd neglected to add a few obvious inventions to the lineup, which necessitated reformatting the whole chapter and shrinking an illustration. But now low-level techs have access to a Tranquilizer Gun, a Vacuum Pump, and Night-Vision Goggles.

Tue 4/11: The technology chapter is done. Hot damn, that shit is fun to play around with. I simply don't understand why (a) there are people who don't like steampunk as a genre and (b) why RPGs that actually have a complete system of mad science inventions on par with their magic systems are so bloody rare.

Wed 4/12: All right, that just leaves two monstrous sections to proofread: chapter 5 (monsters) and appendix B (magic items). Uff da.

Thu 4/13: Finally finished a complete proof-reading. And indexing… is going pretty quickly. Not actually as sucktastic as I thought it would be. Who knew?
So, once this is finished and I can actually compile all the Word files into a single PDF, I'll give them one more read-through (you always, always, always spot more typos after you make the PDFs) and go ahead and publish the ebook version. (The print version, of course, must wait for a proof copy before going public.)

Fri 4/14: Well now. That just leaves indexing the last chapter & appendices. I think I'll save it for morning. Super close to the end now.

2 comments:

  1. Thumbs up. I'm glad to see you're busting through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, proofreading constantly requires the English Major equivalent of Find Traps rolls. So I can only do it on those rare days when I'm fully awake. =)

      Delete