Thursday, April 20, 2017

Holy crap, there's gonna be a new 'Alternity'

I mean, we all knew that a 2nd edition of 7th Sea came out, right?  That was kind of a big deal.  I haven't gotten the chance to check it out yet, but I really want to. I mean, come on, Théah was a pretty major source of inspiration for Gaia.

But I had no clue that Alternity was also getting a reboot!  I freaking loved Alternity back in high school!  For most grognards out there, Traveller is probably their main sci-fi RPG.  Or maybe the Star Frontiers purple box, for people who came to the hobby a little later, in the Moldvay/Cook/Mentzer era. But me, I'm a 90s kinda guy, and in the 90s, Alternity was where it was at.

The rules are complex, sure, but not ridiculously so. It's somewhere between AD&D 1e and d20 Future (or d20 Star Wars).  And, sure, these days I'd probably sooner go for White Star or Stars Without Number or even Retro Phaze for an actual set of rules to run a sci-fi game… but man, did Alternity ever have the right vibe. Like a gritty Mass Effect, it managed to feel both grounded/realistic and totally gonzo at the same time. Especially if you used the Star*Drive setting.

Man, I am gonna have to play me some of this…

2 comments:

  1. I freaking *loved* the art/aesthetic of Alternity. I could never quite get it to fly for me and mine and got rid of the books some time ago, but holy crap did the artwork and trade dress do it for me.

    I did like Star*Drive, but I will always regret not getting to run some Dark*Matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, Dark•Matter was some good shit.

      And I don't even like X-Files.

      Delete